Tuesday, July 13, 2010

Kohlrabi

This week in the bag there were two kohlrabi.  I've never eaten kohlrabi, to my knowledge and I don't really know what to do with it.  Last years kohlrabi made excellent compost material after it spent many days in our fridge. This time I was determined to discover just what kohlrabi actually is.  Some Internet research later, I learned that kohlrabi is a member of the same family as cabbage and broccoli.  Wikipedia describes it as follows: "The name comes from the German Kohl ("cabbage") plus Rübe ~ Rabi (Swiss German variant) ("turnip"), because the swollen stem resembles the latter. The same roots are also found in the German word "Kohlrübe", which refers to the rutabaga. . . .its origin in nature is the same as that of cabbage, broccoli, cauliflower, kale, collard greens, and brussel sprouts: They are all bred from, and are the same species as, the wild cabbage plant (Brassica oleracea)."

The leaves can be cooked like any other greens, but I'm saving that for next year, and decided to tackle only the bulb.  To cook kohlrabi, the bulb is peeled and usually chopped or sliced.    I sliced it in strips and put it into a mix of summer squash, carrots and onions that I grilled in a grill basket with olive oil, salt and thyme.  They were mild and went well with the other veggies.  No one would have known it was kohlrabi if I hadn't told them.


No comments:

Post a Comment