Saturday, September 19, 2009

"Stuffed" Cabbage

We used the cabbage on the first day!   I made my interpretation of stuffed cabbage, which is a cabbage lasagna.  I boiled the cabbage leaves for 15 minutes, according to a recipe I found on the internet.  Then I sauteed 1/2 a large onion, a shallot, a head of garlic, 3 carrots, 1/2 a red pepper, a rib of celery, some sprigs of thyme in olive oil with a pound of ground beef and a pound of ground veal.  I added a little bit of chili powder and some salt & hot paprika.  I cooked a cup of basmanti rice and added the cooked rice to the mixture. Luckily, the sweet husband had made a pot of tomato sauce today.  His sauce included fresh beefsteak tomatoes from the market, garlic, onions & roasted beets!  Instead of rolling the meat in the cabbage, I layered it in a 9 x 12 pan.  First, I put a couple scoops of sauce on the bottom.  Then a layer of cabbage leaves, then a layer of meat, cabbage leaves, meat, cabbage leaves & then sauce on the top.  Then I baked it at 350 for 30 minutes.  The 8 year old approved & the sweet husband & I added a few dollops of goat cheese.  Yum.

No comments:

Post a Comment