Tuesday, March 19, 2013

Mashed Potatoes - 3 ways

 On Sunday I made 3 versions of mashed potatoes.  First, the vegan version - potatoes, vegetable stock, oyster mushrooms and kale.  They turned out well - the vegetable stock I think is a better option than soy milk because it doesn't impart much flavor to the potatoes.  Yukon gold potatoes are creamy enough on their own.  









Next is the kids version - Broccoli Cheddar Mashed Potatoes.

These potatoes had butter and milk, broccoli and cheddar cheese.  They were requested by the picky 6 year old neighbor who loves them.  I haven't had any complaints.












Last the Colcannon Potatoes.  These are the inspiration for the whole mashed potato event.  These have butter, milk and sauteed kale.  They were my least favorite as the flavor was sharp.  True Colcannon potatoes are served with a tablespoon of butter on top.  More butter would have helped a lot but I couldn't quite bring my self to use enough.  My favorite were the broccoli cheddar, they will be on the menu again, as will the vegan version.

No comments:

Post a Comment