Sunday, May 27, 2012

He's A Vegan!

It's my first post with the new name.  In February, my husband decided to be a vegan.  In April, I went on a college visit with our oldest and my 10 year old said, "Mom, you can't leave us with him - we're humans and he's a vegan!  The challenges of having a vegan in the house have been huge.  Emotionally, logistically and financially, we have struggled with the transition of one of us from human to vegan.  We are starting to get over the hump, and I hope to share some tips on feeding both humans and vegans at the same table.

I know there are many blogs devoted to how vegans are treated badly by friends and family, how no one understands their motivation and respects their decision to avoid animal products.  I don't intend to be a vegan basher.  I respect the decision and understand his motivation.  Diagnosed in mid-life with a pulmonary condition which leads to chronic pneumonia, my husband is trying to take control of his health.  He's a researcher who has done sufficient reading to believe that this is the right course for him.  However, that doesn't make it easy for any of us.   

No comments:

Post a Comment